City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, located at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian path ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (one of the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially reached the Appalachian mountains (areas more west being contested between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The existing town's first house was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's settlers also established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later on, both assisting to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (built in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an important market town, however also the seat of justice.
Important legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen major churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on became U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln detained several members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise left from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek flexibility. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the injured from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later on the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, simply below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage occurred along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his father. He ended up being a crucial naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, one of the two largest agricultural fairs in the State.