City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an essential crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's much better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially reached the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being disputed between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The present town's very first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants also founded a German Reformed Church (today understood as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later on, both helping to discovered a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial attorneys who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That initial colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship area has become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the backdrop of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick also became one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight till 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln arrested numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise left from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for flexibility. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous hospitals to nurse the wounded from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, just listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the present intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace combated a successful delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise called the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage occurred along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his daddy. He became an essential marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the annual Excellent Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest farming fairs in the State.